Megan Lee: Pair guilty of girl's takeaway allergy death


Megan Lee

Image copyright
Family handout

Image caption

Megan Lee died two days after she was admitted to Royal Blackburn Hospital

Two men have been found guilty of manslaughter of 15-year-old girl who suffered an allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.

Megan Lee died after eating food containing peanuts from The Royal Spice takeaway in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire.

The takeaway’s owner Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 40, and co-accused Harun Rashid, 38, had denied manslaughter by gross negligence.

They were found guilty following a trial at Manchester Crown Court.

The court previously heard the teenager suffered an acute asthma attack after eating food from the takeaway on 30 December 2016, which her friend had ordered with a note reading “prawns, nuts” to show her allergies.

She died two days later having suffered irreversible brain damage.

Image copyright
PA

Image caption

Harun Rashid (left) and Mohammed Kuddus will be sentenced on 7 November

Following the verdict, Judge Mrs Justice Yip released Kuddus and Rashid on bail to return for sentencing on a 7 November.

The judge said: “The fact that I am granting bail should not be taken as an indication that there will be a non-custodial sentence.

“You need to prepare yourselves for a custodial sentence but I am allowing you to go home for now.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *