|Wimbledon 2018 on the BBC|
|Venue: All England Club, Wimbledon Dates: 2-15 July|
|Coverage: Watch live on BBC TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Red Button, Connected TVs and the BBC Sport website and app; Live Radio 5 live and 5 live sports extra commentary; Text commentary online.|
British number one Johanna Konta exited Wimbledon in the second round after losing to former world number four Dominika Cibulkova on Centre Court.
Konta, seeded 22nd, saved four match points before losing 6-3 6-4 to the Slovak, who missed out on a seeding at the expense of Serena Williams.
Konta’s loss means there are no British women left in the singles after Katie Boulter’s defeat earlier on Thursday.
Boulter, 21, lost 6-3 6-4 to world number 18 Naomi Osaka on Court Two.
Japan’s Osaka, 20, won in 78 minutes and will now face 2016 finalist Angelique Kerber, who beat Claire Liu 3-6 6-2 6-4.
Konta reached a career-high fourth in the world after her memorable run to the Wimbledon semi-finals last year but will drop out of the top 40 when the latest rankings are released after the tournament.
The 27-year-old came into the tournament ranked 24th after struggling for consistent form since losing to Venus Williams at SW19 12 months ago.
Kyle Edmund is the only Briton left in the singles and is currently in action against American qualifier Bradley Klahn.
Konta outclassed by flawless Cibulkova
Konta played as tough an opponent as she could have faced at this stage of the tournament, with two-time quarter-finalist Cibulkova having dropped out of the seedings to accommodate Williams.
The seven-time champion has been seeded 25th by the All England Club despite dropping down the world rankings after giving birth last year.
Cibulkova, the world number 32, called that decision “unfair” as it meant she had to face a seed – and last year’s semi-finalist at that – at least a round earlier than she would have done.
Before the match, the 29-year-old said she had to forget about the controversy – and she did exactly that in a focused performance.
She is one of the most energetic players on the WTA Tour and set about dismantling Konta’s game after a patient start.
Neither player mustered a break point until the sixth game, Konta leading 30-0 before Cibulkova turned it around to take the only break of the first set.
Cibulkova broke again early in the third game of the second set, with Konta complaining to the chair umpire at the changeover – apparently about her opponent jumping and bouncing on the baseline as the Briton served.
Konta regained focus with a hold to love in the next, then spurned a chance to break before Cibulkova reasserted her dominance.
Konta saved four match points in a tough service game at 3-5 in the second set, eventually holding before Cibulkova took her fifth match point to win in 78 minutes.
Boulter edged out by clinical Osaka
Boulter has made great strides in the past year, climbing up the world rankings to a career-high 122, and is set to edge closer to the top 100 after beating Paraguay’s Veronica Cepede Royg in the first round.
But Osaka, one of the most powerful players on the tour, was a different proposition.
The 18th seed won her first WTA title at the prestigious Indian Wells this year, backing that up with her first win over Serena Williams in Miami.
Boulter, a former world top-10 junior, said she would not feel any pressure because she was the “underdog”, and it showed as she put up a fight against her talented opponent.
Four break points came and went for the Briton in the first game of the match, Osaka producing a 114mph first serve for advantage and another of 113mph to hold serve.
That was the story of the match as Boulter was unable to take her chances and Osaka ramping up the power when it mattered.
Osaka took both of her break points on her way to winning the opening set in 37 minutes, while Boulter could convert only one of her eight break points in the match.
Boulter missed three break points in Osaka’s opening service game of the second set, allowing Osaka to take a 4-2 lead and serve out to win.
Meanwhile, former world number 27 Laura Robson says she has undergone successful hip surgery.
The 24-year-old Briton, who has fallen to 349th in the world, has not played a singles match since May.
Alongside a picture of herself in a hospital bed, she wrote on Instagram: “Cheesy thumbs up for a successful hip surgery. Preferred my outfits from earlier this week. Rehab ready!”
Robson reached the fourth round of the US Open in 2012, and the same stage at Wimbledon the following year, but the former Wimbledon girls’ champion has seen her career interrupted by a number of injuries since.