Collingham fire: Fatal blaze 'caused by electrical fault'


Justine, Isabella, Harvey and Gavin Collison

Image copyright
Facebook

Image caption

Justine, Isabella and Harvey Collison all died in the fire

A mother and her two children were killed in a house fire which was “likely” caused by an electrical fault, an inquest has heard.

Justine Collison, 32, died in the blaze in Woodhill Road in Collingham, Nottinghamshire, on 15 December.

Isabella, eight, and Harvey, five, died in hospital. Mrs Collison’s husband Gavin also sustained serious injuries.

A coroner recorded a conclusion of accidental death for Mrs Collison and her children.

The fire took just 22 minutes to become “extremely well developed”, the inquest at Nottingham Coroner’s Court heard.

Mrs Collison was found dead in her bed, while Isabella and Harvey were found unresponsive in the house.

Harvey suffered a brain injury and his life support was stopped several hours later in hospital, he died in his grandparents’ arms.

Isabella suffered a cardiac arrest at the scene, and died about two hours later.

Image copyright
Arron Chown/PA

Image caption

Flowers were left outside the home in Woodhill Road following the fire

Tom Archer, group manager at Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, told the inquest the fire started in the conservatory, which contained Christmas decorations, a TV and disco lights.

Although it was most likely an electrical accident, he said no exact item was found to be the cause.

Mr Archer said: “The most probable [cause] is accidental electrical.

“We looked at the electrical supply in the conservatory and there was no evidence one thing had caused this fire.”

Coroner Mairin Casey concluded all three deaths were accidental, adding: “I accept that the causes of deaths were that all three died as a result of smoke inhalation.”

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to .



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *